[Telecom] Exchange Name pronounciation

Originally, toll calls were relayed by voice from operator to another until they reached the local operator in the desired city. The local operator was familiar with local exchanges, even if they had an unusual pronoumciation or spelling.

When operators could dial toll calls themselves (and later subscribers), confusing names caused problems. During the 1950s the Bell System renamed many local exchanges for that reason and used a standardized list.

For instance, outside Phila there was a town and exchange "Cynwyd". It was pronounced "Kinwood". Obviously in dialing a name like that would cause problems. It was changed.

My question: In Phila itself (West Phila), there was an exchange, BAring 2 (still in use today as 215-222). But it was pronounced BEARING, as in teddy-bear. I would think a name would like would case lots of problems. Would anyone know why that name was not changed?

Also, the Bell System used many names with potential confusion, such as HYatt and HYacinth, which could be easily dialed as HI instead of HY. Using "Y" (9) as a vowel could be confusing but coming up with names for n9x wasn't too easy. (CYpress, EXport, HYatt, LYric, OWen, SYosset/SWinburne, TYler, WYmouth.)

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Back in the days of named exchange dialing with New York Telephone in Buffalo before the seven digit dialing cutover in 1960, EXport was on a #5XB in the office my phone number is served from. It became 716-838 (TF

8) and stayed on a #5XB until 1989 or so.

CYpress became 716-652 (NL 2) which probably was on a #5XB in the office in the village of East Aurora.

OXford became 716-634 (NF 4) which was on a #5XB in the North Cayuga St office in the village of Williamsville.

I found a worn conversion card on a WE 302 I bought in an antique shop. All the named exchanges I listed above came from unworn portions of the card. It seems to me that the dial conversion card was more valuable than the phone in some sense.

Reply to
Curtis R Anderson

Isn't the name Baring (an English surname) pronounced BEAR-ing everywhere?

"Barring" with two R's would be pronounced BAR-ing.

Or would it?

Reply to
mc

If so, perhaps that is why the exchange name was kept in use until

Not all oddball names were converted, nor all names conformed to the list.

BTW, the TCI article pointed out another problem with exchanges named for towns. To me, that was logical, including after dial. They purposed changed such names (ie making FLemington FLowers). The reason was to avoid confusion by people who said "Operator, get me Atlantic City 1234" which may mean the town or an exchange name.

Another thing the Bell System sought to eliminate at that time was calling by name. It's hard for us to believe today, but in the old days you could call long distance and ask for "Get me John Smith in Peoria", the and toll operator would call Information first to get the number, then place the call.

BTW, Direct Distance Dialing wasn't used that much by business at first because many businesses, particularly PBXs, requested time & charges or called Person to person, and those calls still required an operator. T&C was a free service until the DDD discounts of the

1970s. An hotel might have so many such calls that the information was sent back via Teletype.
Reply to
hancock4

Often when they went to seven digits they merely added a digit to the existing name, so someone who was EXport 1234 became EXport 3-1234. But sometimes it was necessary to go to a whole new code to avoid duplication.

NY Telephone experimented with oddball two-letter codes instead of a full name. This was an attempt to wean away from names and expand usage to include unpronouncible combinations. Many places in NY State had such codes. I don't think other Bell System locations tried it.

There are collectors of number cards and that undoubtedly would be interesting to them.

In Phila, which kept names the longest, number cards for Touch Tone and Trimeline phones were tiny rectangular strips. On them only two letters were used. But on a few they actually spelled out the full name, squeezing it in. I saw one with DEvonshire spelled out.

Speaking of number cards, in the old days they used fancy ones in some places, which had little cutouts for black digits that fit in, giving a very professional appearance to it, more so than a rubber stamp commonly used.

However, I think it was very rarely that they didn't use the rubber stamp, even for extensions of a PBX; I almost never saw a handwritten number card during Bell System days. Even toward the end when they had Phone Center Doors, they would stamp the number stickers, not handwrite them. Telco pay phones today have Dymo labelled number cards although some are handwritten.

Do telephone made today even have a space for a number card?

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.