[telecom] EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

h/t Lauren. But a good catch

The time signals from US based GPS are used on lots of telecom gear. I don't know if the Galileo system has similar subscribers.

==== From: PRIVACY Forum mailing list To: Telecom Digest Subject: [ PRIVACY Forum ] EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

As I mentioned yesterday on Twitter, the EU's "Galileo" GPS system is down. And it remains down, except for search and rescue transmissions functionality:

formatting link
========

aha, some more info:

"Another source close to the program told us, 'As far as I know, it is a problem of the PTF [Precise Timing Facility] in Italy's time has an impact on the whole constellation!"

formatting link

Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

"Galileo started offering Early Operational Capability (EOC) on 15 December 2016, providing initial services with a weak signal, and is expected to reach Full Operational Capability (FOC) in 2019.[11] The complete 30-satellite Galileo system (24 operational and 6 active spares) is expected by 2020."

To the best of my knowledge, it is not operationnal yet.

source: Wikipedia

Reply to
Marc SCHAEFER

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.