[Telecom] Empire State Building 'Bermuda Triangle'

Empire State Building 'Bermuda Triangle' By Richard Weir New York Daily news staff writer Sunday, January 27th 2008, 4:00 AM

In the shadow of the Empire State Building lies an "automotive Bermuda Triangle" - a five-block radius where vehicles mysteriously die. No one is sure what's causing it, but all roads appear to lead to the looming giant in our midst - specifically, its Art Deco mast and 203-foot-long, antenna-laden spire.

formatting link
Steve Cichorsky' , a member of the TCI (Telephone Collectors International) list, posted the following story which may explain the mysterious "automotive Bermuda Triangle" phenomenon:

From: Steve Cichorsky' Sent: Mon Jan 28 0:12 To: 'TCI" Subject: Empire State Building 'Bermuda Triangle'

A number of years ago, while working on top of our county's main FM radio and Television broadcasting site, Cuesta Peak, one of the cable television company's engineers came from next door, into the television transmitter building to visit with me.

We had our antenna located at the two-hundred foot level on KSBY-TV's

460' tower and I was working on our FM transmitter which was also located in the same building along with KZOZ-FM's transmitter.

Years earlier, when we moved our transmitter onto the site, KSBY's Chief Engineer told me that KZOZ's transmitter was of poor design and if I ever saw the fluorescent lamp that hung directly above their transmitter lit-up when the light switch was turned-off, go over and retune the P.A. until it went out. A few years latter KZOZ was cited by the F.C.C. and F.A.A.for radiating spurs in the aviation band and the cable company was constantly having problems with them radiating into their cable systems.

If the final amp was not properly tuned, the power would reflect back down the transmission line and the excess r.f. would cause havoc throughout the hill. As a matter-of-fact, Channel Six had to install chokes even on the analog filament meters or they would provide erroneous readings.

Of course the telephone company had previously installed r.f. suppression on the lines and equipment long ago.

He also told me if my vehicle had an electronic ignition and would not start when I got ready to leave, go back inside and make sure the lamp was extinguished.

Anyway, when my friend from the cable company came over to visit, a short time later a carpenter came inside and ask him to open up the cable company's building so he could start remodeling.

My friend gave him the key and told him to go over and get started and he would be there in a short while. While we continued to visit, the carpenter came back inside and asked if we could assist him since his car would not start.

My friend and I looked and each other with a smirk and asked if he had an electronic ignition. He said no but his vehicle did have electronic fuel injection.

We suspended our urgent conversation about barbecuing and beer-drinking and went outside and pushed his car about 75-feet away from the tower, into a null area.

His vehicle started right up!!

Posted to Telecom Digest by Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

And the plot is exactly what an RF signal from a dipole would be at close range. RF power falls off as a square of the distance too, so they have to be cranking some serious power into that tower.

The problem is that you can't shield the vehicle electronics that well. A good shield requires a ground connection that most vehicles don't have.

Reply to
T

Well, since the WTC is gone, that tower once again has all the broadcast TV stations in New York City and I think a fair number of radio stations as well.

The empire state building was built before the TV era, but by fortuntate coincidence they built it with a blimp mooring mast at the top that they adapted.

R's, John

***** Moderaotor's Note *****

In the Boston area, there is a similar area, which local ham operators call "Intermod Alley": it's next to the TV towers in Needham, where call phones tend to die and car burglar alarm controls and remote starters don't work.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] (The brackets are important) in your subject line, or your post will be delayed for as much as a week.

Reply to
John L

Well, sure! It's only every FM and TV station in New York City.... (With only a few exceptions: one TV is primary at 4 Times Square, and half a dozen non-commercial-educational FMs are located on other rooftops.)

Empire currently has on it:

• TV channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, *13, *25, 31, 41, and 68, plus DTV transmitters for all except, I think, 68
  • Full-class-B FMs on 92.3, 93.1, 93.9, 95.5, 96.3, 97.1, 97.9, 98.7,
99.5, 100.3, 101.1, 101.9, 102.7, 103.5, 104.3, 105.1, 196.7, and 107.5

• Other lower-powered stuff that I haven't mentioned.

At that height, a class-B FM only gets about 6,000 watts. The DTVs, on the other hand, are all on UHF and operate with substantial ERPs (100 to 500 kW average ERP each).

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman
[previous poster]

Would a couple of ground straps made of a woven cable attached at one end to the body of the car and touching the road surface help at all?

I hope no one has sustained lasting damage to their car's electronics or their cellphone in this area! Must be bad enough to have to get a tow in Manhattan ($$$).

Also must be scary for people who work in this area and are exposed to that much RF 40-50 hours a week.

Reply to
Herb Oxley

Most of the VHF, not quite all, and only some of the DTV transmitters.

There's another transmitter farm at [deleted], about a half mile away

(shhh... four Times Square)

(There are also some sites with, for want of a btter term, transmitters on chilly standby, which can be fired up if needed. They take this stuff seriously post 11-September).

Only a handful.

Given the physical layout of the ESB, where the antenna is 1,200 or so feet up and propogates primarily parallel to the earth, I doubt this effect (if real) is from it.

More likely there are lots of localized interference issues from the mix and matching of _huge_ numbers of low powered transmitters (wifi bses, cell phone jammers, leaky coax, and just about everything else you could imagine) crowded into that 2nd floor window to your right and that 4th floor one behind you.

-Which are reflecting off that metal overhang 30 stories up down the block from you...

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.