[telecom] Chips in credit cards

I received a routine renewal of a credit card carlier this week that included a funny symbol on the front and an enclosure with it that said it included a chip so it could be used in other places that reuire it such as Canada, Mexico and the U.K.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock
Loading thread data ...

In article you write:

The chip is easy enough to see, a fingernail sized thing with obvious contact pads. If it has a little curved line logo, that's a contactless chip (Paypass, Express Pay, etc.) which is something else.

Which credit card company was it? Did they give you a PIN, or is it chip+signature?

Reply to
John Levine

On Thu, 16 May 2013 08:30:44 -0700 (PDT), Wes Leatherock wrote of a ... :

Something like four concentric wave-front ripples propagating out to the right? code-named "blink"? If so, that's a contactless rf chip, as John Levine described, enabling both you to pay by "waving" you card before a payment terminal (as opposed to swiping the card through it), and astute malefactors to simulate your having "waved" your card before their (illicit) payment terminals, thereby gaining your (unwilling) custom :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

you write:

That's what my TWIC card looks like. They told me that my biometric data is encoded in it: will credit cards have similar info?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Not unless they change the EMV standard.

Reply to
John Levine

you > write:

I see now that the "funny symbol" is actually the chip itself, with contact pads beside it.

It is a Bank of America MasterCard. It may have a PIN; I don't know. A PIN for a credit card is useful only for making a cash advance at an ATM, with a bunch of fees and higher interest than on purchases. A debit card is a much cheaper way to get money.

Wes Leatherock

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

On Thu, 16 May 2013 08:30:44 -0700 (PDT), Wes Leatherock wrote of a ... :

As I have noted, the "funny symbol" I described I now see to be the chip itself.

Is the symbol you describe the one that appeared on Mobil credit cards you simply had to wave at the pump?

Wes Leatherock

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

A credit card PIN is extremely useful in places such as Canada and most of Europe where chip+pin is the normal way to use a card. If you want to use your card at an unattended kiosk, such as the ones in France where you can rent a bike by the hour, or a gas pump in rural Iceland, a card needs both a chip and a PIN to work. (I speak from experience.)

These are regular charges, not cash advances.

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.