Telco payments question [Telecom]

In Australia all the major telcos will now charge customers extra for paying their bills by non-electronic means, has this sort of thing become the norm in the US and other countries?

Reply to
David Clayton
Loading thread data ...

Airlines and banks have started charging extra for non-electronic interactions.

The 7-11 ATMs used to be quite handy. I could pay our phone, electricity, and gas bills at the ATM. And once upon a time you could buy Southwest Airlines tickets through them.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

If you want to pay your bill at a Sprint store and don't ise oen the of terminals they charge, unless the terminal is down, at&t charges or at least the place you pay it at does. I do all mine online at their web page.

Reply to
Steven

I do all mine by Bank of America on-line banking. I've been using it since 1985 when we had to access the system by modem.

Reply to
Sam Spade

All the landline companies that I know of charge the same no matter whether you pay your bill electronically or by mail. Some of the LD companies charge extra for paper bills or hard-copy payment. The cell companies I'm familiar with (Verizon) charge the same either electronically or by check. Some places add a service charge to pay in person. Prepay cellphone time (most brands) is often available from other vendors, online, electronically, at a discount from what the phone company charges.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

I remember BoA's Homebanking, they used to use Tymnet, way before the Internet, I used to like it since it was very small and when you had to call it was like talking to a small local bank. We used to be able to access Western Union's e-mail system and the system that allowed you to sent messages via the USPS, don't remember what it was called. When I saw your post I looked around here and found the users guide and my old Apple II software that worked with it.

-- The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2009 I Kill Spammers, inc, A Rot in Hell. Co.

***** Moderator's Note *****

What ever happened to Tymnet and Telenet? Was it another case of established companies that didn't/couldn't adapt quickly enough?

Bill Horne

Reply to
Steven

I don't know about Tymnet, but Telenet became part of Sprints network, so it might still be around as their high speed nationwide network.

Reply to
Steven

I used to work there (Tymshare) in the 1960s and 1970s. Tymnet was eventually absorbed by British Telecom as BT/Tymnet and their local office moved from Cupertino CA to Fremont CA, They finally shut down in the early 2000s as the Internet became ubiquitous.

Funny thing: the chief architect of Tymnet was LaRoy Tymes and it was pure coincidence the company, the service and LaRoy had the same first three letters in their names. When I began at Tymshare we had only one computer, a modified SDS-930 derived from UCB's Project Genie, and LaRoy was not yet an employee. Tymnet was built using Varian 620i minicomputers.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

'S funny you should mention that. I was one of their first on-line banking customers until:

1. Typing a ^C (control-C) took me to the system's command level; it was either a PDP-10 or TOPS-20 system (I had a bunch of both in my computer center and had been using PDP-10s since the 1960s), and
  2. Poking around at the command level and discovering the online banking center was located at Half Moon Bay CA and was wide-open.

I notified them the system was totally insecure, cancelled immediately, and didn't return to BofA's online-banking until it was web-based with SSL.

Their present system is reasonably secure and I use it almost daily.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Several UK carriers now charge extra in you refuse to pay by direct debit.

Reply to
Ken W

Doubtful. I can only pay Vonage via credit or debit. But my National Grid bills are interesting.

If I pay using my debit card I get whacked a $3.95 fee. But then they also charge you $1.50 or so if you pay at an agent.

The trick is to pay online using a demand draft.

I hope to see National Grid broken into a million little pieces btw.

***** Moderator's Note *****

This is getting away from telecom. Please limit posts in this thread to electronic billing issues which affect firms in the telecom industry.

Reply to
T

I can do mine through my bank but to be honest, all the providers have payment gateways of their own. I do setup billing noticed through my bank though.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.