Teen sends 14,528 text messages in one month [Telecom]

Wouldn't your thumb fall off?

formatting link
Teen sends 14,528 text messages in one month

January 13, 2009 - 8:41AM

An American teenager sent almost 500 text messages a day last month, leaving her father with a phone bill of 440 pages.

Reina Hardesty, 13, sent 14,528 text messages in December - about 470 text messages a day, at an average of a message every two minutes if she was awake for 15 hours each day, the New York Post said.

Her father, Greg, said he was shocked to receive a 440 page phone bill last month.

"First, I laughed. I thought: 'That's insane, that's impossible'," Mr Hardesty told the Post.

"And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible.

"Then I thought maybe AT&T made some mistake on the bill."

He asked his daughter: "Who are you texting, anyway? Your entire school?"

Reina said she messaged a core group of "four obsessive texters" - all girls between the ages of 12 and 13.

"Well, a lot of my friends have unlimited texting. I just text them pretty much all the time," she said.

At a karaoke birthday party, Reina texted her best friend, who was sitting right next to her while others were singing, the Post said.

She also texted her friends to brag about the high number of text messages she had racked up when her parents got the bill.

Fortunately for her parents, Reina's phone plan allows unlimited texting for $US30 a month.

Otherwise the phone bill would have been about $2900, the Post said.

Reina's parents have since placed restrictions on her phone use, forbidding her from texting after dinner.

The average number of monthly texts for a 13- to 17-year-old is 1742, the Post said.

smh.com.au

Reply to
David Clayton
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Wow! I can barely send 10 messages a day. The most is about 20 and half of those are business related.

Reply to
Stephen

I've sent five since the start of the year, and that's probably higher than average.

Reply to
furles

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.