Teen boots banned on account of cell phone smuggling [telecom]

I thought the following was rather silly at first, but it made the national news and I thought I'd share it.

A Pottstown, PA (suburban Philadelphia) school district has banned a very popular style of fashion booth ("Uggs") from school because they believe kids are smuggling cell phones in the boot. Cell phones are forbidden in the school classrooms. The story made the Los Angeles Times: (includes a link to the local paper).

formatting link
formatting link
In my own humble, this is bureaucracy (paranoia) gone too far.

The issue of cell phones and kids is tougher. As discussed, there are problems in getting adults to turn off their cellphones during concerts, religious services, funerals, etc. If adults are unable to "break their connection" for an hour or two, how can we expect kids to do it in class?

(I was recently at a business meeting. During the breaks, the participants immediately whipped out their phones to check for emails and send out texts. These days plenty of adults are as focused on their cell phones as much as kids are.)

But cell phones are a distraction in class and should not be permitted to be used. Further, they can be used for inproper purposes, such as taking embarassing photos of fellow students, or passing test questions to other students.

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Per HAncock4:

Is there some legal problem with technologically-enforced "Cell-Free" zones?

As a tMobile user, I can attest that many buildings [in my] area already [have] such zones.... -)

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Heh-heh ... in *my* day, it wasn't cell phones but shivs or zip guns that kids would smuggle into school, and not in "Uggs" but in their galoshes.

I think I'd rather have 'em smuggle cellphones, all things considered :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Per tlvp:

When I was living in Hawaii back in the sixties, I briefly shared a house with a guy from Texas who never went *anywhere* without his 1914 Colt .45 - and seemed to wear cowboy boots 24-7.

"Dallas, how on earth did you get that thing over here?".

"Ahhhh I just stuck it in my boot".

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.