Something new: FCC broadband speed testing [Telecom]

As found on Slashdot today:

" The Federal Communications Commission is asking the nation's " broadband and smartphone users to use its broadband testing " tools to help the feds and consumers know what speeds are " actually available, not just promised by the nation's telecoms. " At

formatting link
users enter their address and " test their broadband download speed, upload speed, latency, " and jitter using one of two tests (users can choose to test " with the other after one test is complete). The FCC is " requiring the street address, as it 'may use this data to " analyze broadband quality and availability on a geographic " basis' (they promise not to release location data except " in the aggregate). The agency is also asking those who live " in a broadband 'dead zone' to fill out a report online, " call, fax, email, or even send a letter. The announcement " comes just six days before the FCC presents the first ever " national broadband plan to Congress. Java is necessary to " run the test.

FCC site:

Another article:

Contrary to the negative opinion of the FCC's tests here:

the results I receive match or are in the "same ballpark" of every broadband test service I've used; for example, my FCC results today are here: [85 KB]

and my prior speed test results 1 year ago are here: [58 KB]

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

they may be followwing the example from the UK, where there is some formal testing - mainly kicked off due to the ISPs always advertising optimistic speeds based on best case ADSL 2+ numbers.

An independent info base web site started off using equipment sited in actual install and doing remote testing, and then got into a setup with the comms regulator

formatting link

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.