Signatures in the digest [Telecom]

Many of the readers use software (such as Mozilla) that changes the font color and/or size when it encounters a "signature separator" in a messages. This is, of course, normal and expected for most emails. However, readers of the Telecom Digest, who receive multiple messages in a single email digest, find themselves squinting whenever a message with a signature separator ("--") appears in an email _above_ the one they're reading.

As a workaround, I've modified the mail scripts so that they'll turn all signature separators into the pattern hyphen-space-hyphen. I welcome suggestions and links to other solutions.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

- -

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Telecom digest moderator
Loading thread data ...

If you're going to do something like -that-, please do it *ONLY* when things are assembled into 'digest' form. Deliberately Breaking the 'expected' behavior for USENET readers and/or those who get the non-digest form of the e-mails is not polite. :)

Secondly, there is a standardized 'digest' format, and, ttbomk, all competently written s/w -- this specifically excludes MicroSoft -- should reset display charatersistics to the 'default' at a digested message boundary. Double-check the 'digest' construction to make sure things are _exactly_ right -- I've found "small" deviations can have *big* effects.

***** Moderator's Note *****

That's a good ieda: I'll ask John Levine to investigate if the software that generates the digests can be modified to do it.

I assume the standardized format you're refering to is S/Mime, and I'll ask John to look into that as well.

In the meantime, I'll take out the changes.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.