Robocalls getting worse [telecom]

CBS News reported that some 30 billion spam calls were made in the U.S. last year. This year, that number is expected to climb by more than 10 billion. The robocall blocking company YouMail, said the most alarming part is the number of spam calls that are actually scams. Of the 4 billion robocalls made in August, nearly 1.8 billion of them were fraudulent. Next year, some estimates predict half of all mobile calls will be scams.

(CBS played a fake call claiming to be the IRS. I just got that call the other day on my cell phone).

Not mentioned was that many cell phone users are pay-as- you-go, and they must pay for every incoming call. It is illegal to send any soliciting call to a cell phone, but that law is obviously ignored and not enforced. (I had a relative in a nursing home who was bombarded by soliciting calls to the extent we had to pull the phone. That such calls were illegal didn't stop them.)

full CBS article at

formatting link

see also:

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  • The Telecom Digest depends on generous supporters like John Lewandowski +
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.