Robocall relief: New $100 million system may help frustrated consumers [telecom]

Finally, the big phone companies plan to do something major for us little people, rolling out a $100 million system that could eventually reduce the flood of unwanted robocalls to a trickle.

Those aggravating calls from phony IRS agents or the disembodied voice offering a "free" resort vacation won't disappear instantly. But starting next year, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile expect to be the first to activate a new national authentication system designed to stop fraudulent and unsolicited calls. They're already testing the system.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
I think Verizon FIOS has already started this. For example, occasionly I get a one ring and the Callerid will show SPAM? WESTFIELD or something starting with SPAM?. I still use nomorobo.com to get most of them.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

The behavior you describe is exactly how Nomorobo behaves, so I would guess that Verizon has enabled that service on your line, just as Charter Spectrum has allowed me to enable it on my landline. Caller ID info gets transmitted between the first and second ring, so if the CID is flagged by Nomorobo as a spammer, the call terminates before a second ring is heard.

Bob Goudreau Cary, NC

Reply to
Bob Goudreau

Per Arnie Goetchius:

Same here w/FIOS - and there are quite a few of them.

What I am seeing last couple of months is a large increase in spoofing numbers on the same exchange.

I dutifully feed them to NoMoRobo's web page, but have to wonder if they are spoofing on a call-by-call basis and maybe reporting is futile.

Anybody have any insights on this?

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

I think you're punishing the victims by reporting those numbers to Nomorobo. I also get numerous robocalls purporting to be from my exchange. I have never noticed a repeated number. Your idea about a call-by-call basis seems likely correct.

Reply to
Ron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.