Re: Where is area code 390? [Telecom]

Where is area code 390? Someone whose caller ID data says

> 390-599-9148, name "LRG", is apparently violating the > Do-Not-Call Act. We got a call from a machine that said > "press 1 to speak to an agent" and did not connect us to > anyone when we pressed 1. Googling the number, I see that > others have received similar calls, sometimes very persistently.

It's an out-and-out SCAM which is violting the Do-Not-Call Act.

There is NO area code 390 in the North American network. I also doubt that this call is coming in from Italy, which is Country Code +39.

In North America, ALL three-digit area code combinations with a '9' in the middle digit are RESERVED for use in a future expansion to a "longer-than-ten-digit" North American number. Thus there is NO three-digit area code 390, nor any other N9X format three-digit area code, at least not at this time.

Therefore, this is some obvious $CAM/$CUM trying to evade any regulatory action against unsolicited calls.

- a/b

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

Would the phoneco's Call Trace (1157) yield any better information?

Reply to
hancock4

At least they've settled on a specific fake caller ID number, then...

I can't find any official listing of area code 390, but I did find this:

formatting link
led me to think it might be a new one.

Don't worry, we have ways of making them tell us who they are, if they call back...

***** Moderator's Note *****

The number given on that web site goes to the intercept operator here, so it's a typo. A Google search for "Area Code 390" turned up over

2,000 hits, but the first page was all about telemarketers, so it's likely that this is a well-known problem.

What I'd like to know is 'How are they spoofing the CID'? If they're simply resending CID data after the call is answered, I'm not sure what could be done about that. OTOH, if they're using PRI lines and misreporting to the IEC, then that's probably actionable.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
MC

If they call back, I may try it.

Reply to
MC

A while back I got a call with my own number as the CID, it was a telemarketer, I have no idea how they did it other then they were behind a system that allowed setting the number to what was supposed to be the primary number, I told them I was on the DNC list and not call me again, nothing since.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Vatican, even though I don't remember seeing the Vatican with its own country code.

Reply to
Patrick L. Humphrey

With luck the call trace will use the ANI, I was never on the maintenance end and can't remember how it worked.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Nope. All N9X area codes are reserved for the transition to longer numbers. There is no A/C 390 and never will be.

All landline numbers in Italy start with +390. The Vatican has regular Rome numbers which start with +3906.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

I have no idea how it's done, but there was an article (sorry, I forgot where) about an 800 service that would spoof the caller-ID "as a joke".

I always thought caller-ID came out of the ANI, but apparently not. I have no idea of where it comes from or how it is transmitted. Maybe someone could explain it in layman's terms.

[Historically, the Bell System was slow in adopting in ANI. Originally DDD didn't have it. Though crude ANI was developed for suburban toll calls in the 1940s, as late as 1972 a big city downtown Centrex was still using ONI (operator requested calling number), even for suburban message unit calls. I'm not sure if No. 5 crossbar was initially designed with ANI or not. ]
Reply to
hancock4

I'm suprised it worked. That company is already in violation of FTC regulations. FTC regs require them to provide their own phone number on caller-ID. Ref:

formatting link

Reply to
Ron

I respectfully suggest that being in violation of FTC regulations means nothing.

Recently I spoke to a friend who was bothered by a telemarketer who violated numerous FTC regulations (like calling outside the designated time frame, disregarding do not call, etc.) My friend duly logged the calls and made a formal complaint.

Nothing was done.

As mentioned earlier, it really appears the telephone company and regulatory authorities take no action unless there is a high volume of complaints. (They don't deal with Call Trace until there is a volume of calls of a violent threat). When cases make the newspaper of a telemarketer fined for violating the rules, the violations were in the _thousands_ of calls.

Is anyone aware and can describe where a single complaint by an individual got action?

Reply to
hancock4

If the caller is behind a private telephone switch, some switches include user-programmable Caller ID. If it were ANI, the line number of the outgoing trunk would show up in the display of the called party.

If the caller's extension can be reached as direct inward dial and the switch is programmed to display the extension as a dialable 10-digit telephone number on outbound calls, then user-programmable Caller ID can be used to give useful information. If one is trying to return a call, knowing the outbound trunk he used isn't helpful.

Sometimes user-programmable Caller ID has a benign purpose.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

CLID is supposed to be completely separate from ANI, and is transported as part of SS#7 messages. ANI is for billing, CLID is for who's calling.

In a PBX, the ANI can always be the main number since that's where the calls are billed, while the CLID should identify the extension.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

That doesn't sound correct since ANI shouldn't originate at a PBX. ANI should be the outgoing trunk. If ANI could originate at the PBX, if the subscriber screwed with it the telephone company wouldn't be able to bill properly.

Please don't Cc me.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

We have DID lines in my office but all outbound calls present the main number as their CLID data. Works for me because I just give out my DID number anyhow.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.