Re: Western Union Public Telegram Offices

It is an interesting question. I strongly suspect the Bell System

> compiled completion-time statistics for toll calls and as the 1950s > wore on the times decreased. In the 1950s the Bell System was busy > upgrading its toll network with microwave and coax cables and No 4 > crossbar switching. I wonder in 1954 what percentage of subscribers > had DDD and what percentage of subscribers had operators who had toll > dialing capability.

I have an early childhood memory. I think it is from a variety show staring Gary Moore. But I'd never swear to that name. He's doing a skit where his sidekick is telling him his new Direct Dial number and he goes on and on with digits. My memory was this was just after the "Bell System" announced country wide LD direct dial.

Being born in 1954 I'm guessing this was around 1960 or so?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There were a lot of jokes on this topic during the 1960's. One person would ask for another person's phone number and the response would go on and on and on, with a long string of digits, and then for an added laugh, one or the other would inquire "do I need to put a '1' in front of that?" PAT]
Reply to
DLR
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.