Re: Web Services Thrive, but Outages Outrage Users

Six Apart, whose TypePad service is used by many high-profile

> bloggers, experienced nearly an entire day of downtime on December 16, > when it suffered a hardware failure. Del.icio.us had a major power > failure on December 14. Services including Bloglines, Feedster and > WordPress have also experienced problems. > Nothing underlines the importance of these "social media" services as > much as the outcry of users when the sites crash. While the services > were usually back up and running within a few days at most, the > outages prompted much consternation from users who were temporarily > unable to share their blogs and bookmarks with the world. > Russell Buckley and Carlo Longino wrote on their blog MobHappy >
formatting link
that waiting for TypePad to be fixed > was like "waiting for a train to arrive, when you're sitting on a > cold, damp platform. It's mildly irritating for the first 5 minutes, > but then annoyance levels start to rise exponentially."

Waaaaaaaah.

People in Louisiana are still trying to get back to their lives, but elsewhere spoiled brats are whining about not being able to access their silly "blog" sites for a day or two.

If this is what's become of true importance in America, I'm ready to find an uninhabited island to move to.

Seriously, where is the sense of proportion here? Are these whining brats really allowed out in the world to do adult things, like raise children and vote?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You are quite correct. All of us complain about our problems, then we look at places like New Orleans or Biloxi, MS or Iraq or Iran and many other places and we should realize we have no problems at all. I look back at the years I have spent on comp.dcom.telecom and how things in the world have gotten so much more grim in recent years and I wonder "is the best thing we have to talk about today telecom topics?" PAT]
Reply to
Ron Chapman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.