Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

>>> Not concerned yet? Well consider this - suppose your web page was

>>> hosted on a particular ISP, and suddenly one of the large ISPs took a >>> notion to start blocking access to web sites hosted on selected >>> competitive ISPs. Of course, their solution would be to open an >>> account with them and move your web site to their servers. Now what >>> happens when two or more ISPs do this? Pretty soon the entire >>> Internet as we know it falls apart, and I don't think I'm being overly >>> dramatic in saying that - I have seen just too many examples of >>> corporate greed destroying the good things of life to think that it >>> could not happen that way. >> Most ISPs of reasonable size have figured out that it's not worth it >> to block or deny peering with other providers of reasonable size (of >> course there may be quibbling at the margins). The result of blocking >> is too much grief with customers, who don't care that much about the >> underlying transporter of bits. Blocking = less bits = less money, in >> the general sense. In the 21st century, it's been legal issues that >> have resulted in "stupid acts of site blocking" moreso than anything: > That's what gets me. Last I remember, to qualify as a common carrier, an > ISP isn't allowed to exact any sort of traffic control beyond what is > necessary to maintain the stability of the network. Anything more and it > could be seen as having the ability to control its content, and would be > vicariously liable for crimes committed over its infrastructure and > services. > Isn't that still the case?

Yep, and by those rules Cox shouldn't be considered a common carrier any longer. They actually teach parents how to implement filters on web sites, etc. via Cox provided servers.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I can tell you that Southwestern Bell has always claimed 'common carrier status' on their DSL service as a way to avoid any/all spam filtering on user's mailboxes. They won't even sort perceived spam into a separate spam box as CableOne does. It just all goes into your mailbox -- all several hundred pieces of it daily. How you want to sort it is your business. Just call this one of my several minor complaints with SBC, which is why I dumped them out of my house totally. PAT]
Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.