Re: Voicemail via email [Telecom]

ed wrote:

>>> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:55:34 -0600 >>> From: John Schmerold >>> To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom.csail.mit.edu >>> Subject: Single port vmail to wav file [Telecom] >>> Message-ID: >>> >>> I am looking for an answering machine that delivers its voicemail >>> message via email with wav file attachment. I recognize I could rig >>> something up with a PC, but don't want all the fuss associated with a >>> PC. >>> >>> Any ideas? I want to keep this under $300. >>> John, >> > >> I use Ring Central to do this. You can pick a phone number in >> almost any area code/city, and for $10/mo the messages are emailed >> to you as .wav files.
[Moderator snip]

Ed:

> >Thank you for the follow-up. I have a 15 year old Intertel system, I >cannot justify replacing it ...
[Moderator snip]

Problem with my solution is that it's six months and $1,000 out, so if

>someone made a cheap little appliance - not sure why $300 is so >laughable, when Grandstream makes a nice little PBX for $600, but to >each his own, I would buy the little appliance, I'd be happy and set >for another 5 years when the Intertel is dead beyond all recovery.

It stays laughable because you already found some sort of solution for twice what you suggested you want to pay. I bought an Asterisk developer's kit for about $300: [you could] supply your own PC and load the free software. It was a single FXO and FXS on a 4-port frame. In one breath you set conditions and then you sugest solutions that cost 2-3x wha you were hoping for. Note that everybody suggested a software solution on a PC.

Sigh.

Carl, still laughing

***** Moderator's Note *****

I assume that Carl is laughing at himself and not the original poster: at one time or another, we have all found out the hard way that everything costs more when you want it done right.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Carl Navarro
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.