Re: US consumer groups call on FCC, Congress to address nation's

US consumer group Public Knowledge said it joined 23 other public

> interest, civil rights, tribal, and rural advocacy groups, urging the > FCC to address public safety concerns about the state of the country's > communications network, which the letter said is getting increasingly > fragile and unreliable.

Hopefully something will come out of this. The system is indeed very fragile and I don't think people realize it.

In this newsgroup we see numerous articles of serious outages. Very troubling.

Sadly, with wireless, most people are more tolerant of a much lower quality and reliability of service than of the past.

For instance, in the old days, the telephone company supplied power for the central office so even if commercial power failures, most phones kept working. The phoneco had batteries and diesel generators as backup.

When I lost power for a week due to hurricane, my landline phone service never stopped working. People with cellphones or cable phones lost service. FIOS users had a few hours and they went dead, too.

Unfortunately, our commercial power network is equally fragile and at high risk for a major blowout.

[public replies, please]
Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.