Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones

If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer,

> after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you > the party is not available and terminate the call. > When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't > think it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is > that one does get charged. > A few years ago I was meeting a friend at a convention, and I was > to call his cell phone from a pay phone upon my arrival. His cell > phone number was long distance from that point. I called a few > times using my Calling Card but couldn't reach him and I was billed > for the calls. I complained and they took it off. > Now I realize most people today have such low per-call fees (ie 10c) > so this isn't an issue, but there are times from a pay phone, long > distance, or peak period cell phone roaming where the per-call > charge is indeed significant, even as much as a dollar or more per > minute.

And using a calling card from a payphone can be significant these days since the payphone owner can now "legally" extort huge charges from the long distance carrier or card provider, who will then extort those surcharges from us.

It doesn't seem to fair to charge for unanswered calls. I don't > know if traditional supervision (call answered) signals are passed > back from cell phone switches.

Answer supervision is indeed passed back from cellular service switches. But remember that these days (and even in times past as well), standardization is not perfect. And it isn't always consistant as to which cellular providers will supervise back your calls to such messages. It can vary from switch to switch within the same cellular provider as to whether you are charged or not for reaching such a "subscriber not available" (vacant) message.

Even with traditional landline providers, sometimes you can find a charge condition on reaching intercepts (which are really the digit by digit quote back systems), and "vacant condition" recordings. And as I said, there were times this happened even in years past, back when the telephone industry in the US was still mostly managed by AT&T and Bell.

If you are concerned, make a note of such calls, and check to see if they were indeed billed when the bill arrives. And then complain to your long distance company or card provider to get a credit.

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.