Re: The Move to High-Tech Tracking of Inmates

Please remove my email address PAT.

While I like to reduce the costs of government functions, I think there are way too many holes in this idea for it to be implemented with dangerous criminals.

GPS tracking does not work within buildings. If the sensor cannot see the sky, it cannot give true tracking information.

Here's a simple scenario: A criminal enters a building, wraps tin foil (or other material that blocks the signals) around the sensor, exits the building, goes about their illegal business, returns to the same building, removes the block, and exits. To the GPS (and anyone receiving the tracking data), it has never left the building.

- David

At 03:18 PM 2/14/2005, snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:58:11 -0500, Lisa Minter > posted: > Click here to read this story online: >
formatting link
> By Kris Axtman Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

Stuff deleted

But the system is not foolproof. Like any technology, it's subject to > human error. Here in Houston, for example, convicted rapist Lawrence > Napper was placed on the GPS system after being paroled in 2000. > He was supposed to go only from home to work to his parole office, but > in nine months, he logged 444 violations that were never caught. He > was then transferred to a less restrictive monitoring program and, a > month later, was arrested for sexually assaulting a 6-year-old boy. He > was sentenced to life in prison. > "There is a chance for human error. I'm not going to argue that > point," says Kicker. "But you can't strap an ankle bracelet on a guy > and then forget about him. It takes a certain amount of diligence on > the parole officer's part."

Rest deleted

Reply to
David B. Horvath, CCP
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.