Re: Telemarketing?

Dave Garland wrote:

>> It was a dark and stormy night when Choreboy >> wrote: >>> Did scammers get my aunt's date of birth? Would that be useful? >> It would be useful if you were committing identity theft. Not to say >> that is what is happening, but it is a bit odd. >> It would be interesting to learn who that toll-free number lists to. >> If you shared the number, perhaps someone more knowledgable than I >> would look it up and learn more about its owner. > The number was 800 852 5321. > I often encounter websites that ask my date of birth without good > reason. I alter it because I've heard it can be useful to criminals > (even if the organization is reputable, such as a newspaper). That's > why it concerns me that unidentified people asked my aunt's date of > birth in peculiar circumstances.
1) In the US, Federal law requires them to determine age to determine whether collection information is legal, as well as "adult" content.

Admittedly a birthday isn't "required" but it's easier.

2) It's often seen as a harmless piece of information which can be used to partially verify a user down the road. Like all things it has been way over-used so it's less useful now. 3) Marketing: Knowing someone's age is very useful when determining marketing demographics.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.