Re: [telecom] Re: Telecom Re: Analog Cell Phones

>> The alarm industry still makes use of AMPS cell phone systems for >> connectivity from their client?s premises. In March 2006 an Alarm >> Industry Communications Committee petitioned the FCC to extend the AMPS >> ?sunset? date by two years to February 2010. They asserted that there >> were more than a million analog alarm radios and they say that there >> just isn?t enough time to change all of them out by February 2008. >> Never mind that they have already had several years to change their >> equipment. One of my ?mottos? is: Lack of planning on your part does >> not constitute an emergency on my part. >> >> > >The alarm industry seems to always be behind the power curve. Some of >them still use dial pulse instead of DTMF for wireline dialing. >

It wasn't all that many years ago that the phone companies charged a premium for DTMF dialing, which adds up over time.

For an automated application, using DTMF may speed up your dialing by a few seconds, which really dosen't matter in the end.

I recall that one of the other arguments that the alarm industry used was that the manufacturers had been very slow in making replacement products available, and that replacement equipment was still in short supply. In other words, they could not do upgrades because the equipment was not available.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan
Loading thread data ...

When I was involved with the "latest and greatest" alarm system, the dial pulse of 11 digits took perhaps 15 seconds. DTMF perhaps 1 second. When the intruder is smart that time difference is enough for him to rip out the alarm panel before the dial pulse got out.

Even though there was a premium charge for DTMF, most LECs had it activated in any case for liability issues. Also, most home lines used the primary line in any case, so if the folks could afford an alarm chances are they already have DTMF.

Reply to
B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.