Re: [telecom] Goodbye to copper? [Telecom]

One of the few nice things I can find to say about IE is that, amongst its Internet Options, there's one to disallow IFRAMEs from being accepted. :-)

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

I was trying to remember what PBX that was and I just found my old notes. It was a NorTel NorStar/BCM with a T7316E+T24 for the receptionist and 40 each T7316E and T7208 phones for the employees along with two ACUs and 8 analog lines for FAXes and modems.

The software was clunky and not 100% correctly configured by the vendor, but I was able to correct the oversights and omissions. My biggest gripe with the software was the inability to "dump" the configuration database -- I had to tediously extract the info entry by entry and create a spreadsheet, notice the discrepancies, correct them, and update the spreadsheet.

Now here's a "funny" thing. I noticed there was no entry for the name portion of outgoing CID, so I entered the company name and thought I was finished.

Several hours later, the Office Manager asked me if there was something wrong with the phone system since no phone had rung all afternoon. Long story short, I discovered that a non-blank entry for the name portion of outgoing CID had somehow disabled the system. After blanking the company name, everything began working fine again. This was annoying because I explicitly stated to the vendor when ordering the system that I wanted both the company number and the name to appear on called-parties' CID displays.

The vendor later stated it was "some problem" with the CO and there was nothing that could be done. I was dubious because a colleague who installed a DMS-100 at HP in Palo Alto CA was easily able to cause "HEWLETT PACKARD" to appear on CID displays, but I didn't have time to pursue the matter further.

Does that ("nothing could be done") make any sense? I'm guessing the line to the CO was a PRI, but the BCM chassis was locked and I never had a chance to examine what was inside the two cabinets. The CO is in San Mateo CA (El Camino and 28th) and I'm reasonably certain it's a 5ESS.

The reason I'm asking is because I was easily able to cause any number display ("650-xxx-nnnn") to appear on CID per the requirement of company "main" number for all except certain sales, marketing and executive personnel who needed to have their specific extensions appear on CID displays.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

The latest version of the NoScript plug-in for Firefox does.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Carly Simon wrote a good article on this in Salon shortly after DMCA was enacted, but I can no longer find it on their web site.

Reply to
John David Galt

Sure you're not thinking of Janis Ian?

formatting link
(although her rants were more about downloading and the failure of the music industry to adapt to change).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Otoh, the latest version of Firefox is "location aware", and can send that info (of where you are) to a website on request.

Yes, it's "opt in", but that's for today. Wat'cha wanna bet there will soon be other programs using this info w/o your knowledge...

formatting link

Reply to
danny burstein

Well, since Firefox is 'open source', it's pretty well guaranteed that there will always be a way to turn this "feature" off -- if its not in the stock distribution then there _will_ be an add-on to do it.

BTW, it isn't just Firefox. Google makes the same capability available for MS-Internet Explorer, and for embedded IE for a bunch of mobile devices with 'Gears' installed.

Google's entire 'Gears' project is also open-source, so, if anybody decides to do a 'always on' variation, it is a safe bet that some 'rebel' will build an add-on to disable it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.