Re: [Telecom] Exchange Name pronounciation

When operators could dial toll calls themselves (and later

> subscribers), confusing names caused problems. During the 1950s the > Bell System renamed many local exchanges for that reason and used a > standardized list. > > For instance, outside Phila there was a town and exchange "Cynwyd". > It was pronounced "Kinwood". Obviously in dialing a name like that > would cause problems. It was changed.

This was one of the examples cited in the Bell System instructions on names. Not even inward operators might recognize the c..o. name from the pronouncition presented by the originating or tandem operator. For the record, this exchange was presented in the material as Bala-Cynwyd, and, as I say, was presented as a horrible example. As I have noted before, there was a reverse problem, too, when the calling party did not know the correct pronunciation. I placed a call once from Dallas in the 1950s to Mexia, Texas, a place some 50 or 75 miles from Dallas and well-know to the operator. But she did not know what place I wanted until I spelled it. (The prnounciation is Muh-HAY-uh). [ ,,, ]

Also, the Bell System used many names with potential confusion, such > as HYatt and HYacinth, which could be easily dialed as HI instead of > HY. Using "Y" (9) as a vowel could be confusing but coming up with > names for n9x wasn't too easy. (CYpress, EXport, HYatt, LYric, OWen, > SYosset/SWinburne, TYler, WYmouth.)

Another problem name was YUkon. Many customers were likely to dial it as UK(on). However, it was the only name presented in the recommended list Lisa referred to, so no better one could be found. Generaly there were four or five names on the recommnded list that fit the first two numerals. A notable case occurred when the Chevrolet dealer in Waco, Texas. was assigned a number in the PLymouth exchange. Fortunately he complained early enough before the actual Xbar conversion (before that Waco was step with no letter prefixes) that the name for that dial pull was changed to PLaza.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes
formatting link
Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.