Re: [telecom] ANI vs. Caller ID [Telecom]

Who is a telco? Who isn't a telco? If I own my own PBX, am I a

> telco? What if I own a bunch of PBXes around the country on a > private line network? > What if I own a private line network and sell service on it? At > what point do I become a telco?

I know a major car rental company that sold spare capacity on its private line network. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

I think a telco is any regulated public utility providing access to the PSTN. You become a telco the moment your tariffs are approved.

You may own your own PBX, and still be a telco, so long as you're willing to use the PBX to provide dial tone to all who apply. You'll need connections to the E-911 network, CALEA capability, a way to settle long-distance and local copayment charges, access to either the ILEC's infrastructure or your own, adequate capital reserves to cover losses from non-paying customers, and the patience of a saint.

The "private line network" case is out of my league: I'll ask others to answer that question.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Ah. They had some extra Hertz available?

Yup. a 'real' telephone company is a regulated common carrier. They get legal immunity from certain kinds of actions being brought against them, in exchange for a commitment to provide service to _anyone_ who can pay the costs, and some regulatory oversight of their pricing structure.

You =can= play in the telephony biz, on a limited scale, _without_ being a regulated common carrier. There are some advantages to this, and some

*BIG* disadvantages to this. There -are- people who do it, and make a reasonable business of it
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.