Re: Should legacy technologies be allowed to remain forever? [Telecom]

Having read the recent posts about people being cut off copper for fiber,

>and also being compelled to switch to Digital TV, it occurs to me that the >underlying question should be is it really fair to retain - essentially >ancient - technologies?

Of course, when they are appropriate technologies. I cook my dinner every evening using fire. It's been around for millennia. It's really good, and I like it a lot. Why should I change when it's the appropriate technology for the job?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

As long as it's not in the way of something better that others would benefit from, of course.

The thing is that history is already full of examples of old technologies being replaced (sometimes forcibly) by newer versions with varying degrees of speed and acceptance (analogue to digital cell phone services, as another recent example), so I am asking if there are other technologies that we cling to now that perhaps we really shouldn't, and the good people of this NG should be able to come up with good reasons for both sides of the debate.

Some technologies make no sense at all to change, but that shouldn't stop everything we currently use being re-evaluated as alternatives arise.

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.