Re: Sabotage attacks knock out phone service [Telecom]

> > > > > Sabotage attacks knock out phone service > > > > As a ham, I have to ask where was the amateur radio communty in this. > It's been proven time and again that amateur radio is the only thing > standing when landline and cell services go down. > > ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > Ham radio may be still standing when cell and landlines are down, but > it's not operational. Short of having hams drive around with > loudspeakers advertising their presence, there's no way to make the > citizenry aware of their capabilities. > > Bill Horne > Temporary Moderator

I know standard policy when telecom systems go out here is that hams are stationed at common communty rally points and at the PD and FD stations.

Most of it is handled by the Red Cross.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

T wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@reader.motzarella.org:

Amateur Radio is part of our local and state Emergency Operations Center procedures, and tested at least as often as required by the rules at the nearby nuclear power plant. AFAIK, they only operate 2 meters, most of which depends on repeaters.

Reply to
Paul

Here in the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino) most agencies work with the local Hams during an emergency and training is going on all the time. In LA County there are Ham Radio operators working in the Emergency Communications Centers 24/7 even when there are no emergencies. I believe Riverside is the same, but as I said I'm pretty much out of it now. I just dug my old 10 meter portable out to see how it worked, I put new batteries and it appears to be as good as it was the last time I used it some 20 years ago.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

This is not true. Or rather it may be true in your jurisdiction or you may have a misleading opinion based on media reports. One thing that the Canadian and US Red Cross are very, very good at is media relations.

Amateurs have thier own relationships with the various served agencies one of which is the Red Cross. Most important, though, are the local muncipalities, towns and cities.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

2m or 144-148 Mhz is the frequency [band] you see mostly in use. It [has] a good combination of building penetration and slight over the horizon coverage as well as [short] antenna length.

However, extensive use is [also] made of UHF, 430 to 450 Mhz. See

formatting link
for a system that covers much of the province of Alberta. There are UHF hubs in the major centres. Other bands such as 222 to

225 Mhz are used by the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) in Alberta.

But just as important are the lower frequencies that allow the signal to go hundreds or thousands of miles. This allows amateurs to get messages outside the affected area such as during the Quebec ice storm or the tsunamis. These require more setup and physical space due to the longer antennas required.

Radio amateurs operating on 2m make extensive use of repeaters. However these are vulnerable to hurricanes, ice storms and power outages. So the amateurs train in simplex or direct station to station contact as well. Coverage is not as good of course. The various ARES groups in cities also generally have mobile repeaters which can be placed on high spots in the affected areas or to replace antennas on towers that have been damaged or destroyed.

These mobile repeaters are also deployed in support of many special events on the fringes of current repeater coverage such as marathons, triathlons, car rallies and similar annual events.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

I oversee a local Ham Radio ARES/RACES team at the county level.

2 meters is there because it is popular, but we also have HF, 440 mhz, 6 meters, and the ability to send and receive slow speed e-mail and small attachments over HF Pactor or 2 meter packet from locations without Internet service, jacking into an area that still has Internet service.

See

formatting link
for more info.

Steve N2UBP

Reply to
Steve Stone

As far as I know in the USA amateurs are still very welcome at the table. Yes, there are certainly places where the amateurs aren't welcome but I suspect as much as anything it's a matter of personalities on both sides.

The more training the amateurs can get the better. Here in Alberta the various agencies involved are working on a formal certification program for amateurs involving standard training such as that made available by the Radio Amateurs of Canada as well as basic ICS. All of which is great. Those amateurs who take that training will be given responsible positions when the manure hits the rotating blades. Those amateurs who show up without the training will be placed under the leadership of those who've taken the time and effort.

I don't know about that. There are definitely younger people coming into the hobby. I know of 12 and 16 year olds in the major cities. We're also seeing a lot of 40 year old people whose kids are teenagers are who have moved out and who can now take the time to devote to the hobby.

I respectfully disagree. Handhelds are still part of the magic when you can chat with someone in your area. All for free and sharing a common hobby. We don't need to meet on Tuesday nights at 7 pm to enjoy model railroading. Well there is the one time charge of buying the equipment.

Of course some amateurs aren't interested in the local chit chat on the repeaters but want to converse with others thousands of miles away. There are lots of areas for folks to get involved in.

For example the following is currently #6 in the balloon altitude records in their class.

Southern Alberta Balloon Launch Experiment #3

formatting link
"This would normally have been the end of the story, but not this time. Checkout the The Aftermath from SABLE-3" ... "And finally, many of the countless comments and replies found on as many web pages are very interesting, but this one from digg.com is one of my favourites - Comment: What kind of guys normally launch balloons? Reply - The ones that have their pants pulled up to their chests, hair slicked back with Brylcreem, and thick black framed glasses with tape holding one of the hinges together. Reply - Guys that don't spend all day on Digg? Guys that actually *do* stuff?"

formatting link
Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

Another agency served by hams is The Salvation Army. Check out the Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) at

formatting link
Dick Gardy, AC7EL

Reply to
Richard

Yes. And I have a great deal of respect for the work of the Salvation Army in this area.

Also the Mormons are encouraging their folks to get amateur radio licenses.

Tony

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'm curious why The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would encourage Stakeholders to get ham licenses. Is this an official policy, or is it something that's up to each Stake?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

I believe it is because they have people all over the world doing their work, many in areas that are in the jungles. I have seen large towers on their Stakes.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

As far as I know this is part of the personal preparedness responsibility each family is supposed to have. "We encourage members world-wide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings. "

formatting link
Something which is a good idea anyhow.

FEMA advocates a three day supply of food and water. However a mid level FEMA manager who was on site at Katrina stated that 10 days would be much more prudent. Especially, as was the case with Katrina, evacuees from the directly hit area descended on relatives in areas which were also affected with lengthy power failures. So 10 days food for 4 peopler doesn't last that long when you have 10 people in your household. His name and location of talk will not be disclosed.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.