Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988

Very interesting reading this. I was living in Chicago at the time, so I remember it very well. One question is how long did it ACTUALLY take to replace the switch and restore full service to the area.

George "Skip" Thurman

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Illinois Bell stated that the restoration was about 90 percent finished within a month, in mid-June, 1988. It was about 95 percent finished within a month or two after that. A couple telco repair technicians in the area noted to me that the restoration was never _totally_ i.e. 100 percent (as in things operated _exactly_ as they had before the fire). It got to be 'the equivilent of' 100 percent during August of that year, but trained and experienced ears which listened _closely_ said the 'action' (if you want to call it that) was never completely replicated.

I do not know if you recall this or not, Skip, but _you_ were the person who tipped me off to the fire in progress that Sunday afternoon in a phone call to my home. PAT]

Reply to
George S Thurman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.