Re: Reduced spam and increased security infrastructure? [Telecom]

|Dan Lanciani wrote: |> snipped-for-privacy@wizinfo.com (Dave Garland) wrote: |> |Credit bureaus sell |> |information about you... Make them liable for damages if you are harmed in |> |any way by their sale of untrue information. |> |> While I certainly have no objection to such a rule, it does nothing |> to help the "identify theft" problem where the credit bureau provides |> true information about the victim... | |The "theft" problem is more properly a problem of negligence in |properly identifying someone when issuing them credit.

Yes, of course. And given the current structure the simplest solution is credit inquiry locks.

|So the perp claims he's you, runs up big bills, and doesn't pay them. | |That's really not much of a problem for you, until the credit bureau |starts telling people it was you who ran up the bills, thus affecting |your credit.

It's a problem for you when the people who think you borrowed money from them try to recover. They often have lawyers who know how to use the court system to get judgements.

|If they were liable for the truthfulness of the |information, you'd have recourse.

You would not have recourse for the harm caused by the debt which is now in your name.

|(They could, of course, contract |with businesses who report to them, that those business would |reimburse them for any claims due to the falsehood of the reports.) |Say, for your losses because you could not get telephone service.

In between arguing with the creditors who think you owe them money you can argue with the credit bureaus' lawyers about the actual losses caused by your inability to get telephone service. And of course, both are going to demand that you prove that it was not in fact you who did run up the bills. I'd rather just prevent the problem in the first place. Consumer "recourse" is vastly overrated.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

One glitch is that the creditors must PROVE that you agreed to the debt. Most often this is in the form of you signature on a piece of paper.

By the time the original creditor does the charge-off and then sells then debt to a collector, the collector only gets a print out andno real supporting paperwork.

After so many years even the original debtor destroys paperwork.

If you have patience you can beat the system.

Reply to
T

For several years I had to fight with creditor and collection scum in Florida. I never lived there or even been there, and all the companies involved were local business. When I got one cleared another would pop up. One little known trick is one collection agency will sell the claim to another one until it gets to one that tries to collect a few dollars. I have told them I'm not the person who they are looking for, but that never seemed to faze them, one told me he did not care if I was not the person, his job with to bug me until I paid. By that time I took to recording all calls, I forwarded it to his company and the Florida Attorney General. End of calls and the charge off for that one was removed from the credit files. Also the credit agency will remove the report if there was no reply from the creditor, but it then can be added back in. That is why I feel that if there were criminal laws they would care a little more.

Now if something pops up I know it is not me since all of files are blocked and I have only one credit card with my credit union.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.