Re: Project 'Gaydar': At MIT, an experiment identifies which stude... [Telecom]

1) Easy searching: Before computers, public records were difficult to

> search. Deeds, for example, were stored sequentially on microfilm > or in books and the date of sale had to be known. Typically there > were not indexes to search by address or name. But today computers > make it possible to search for records by a variety of criteria.
[For deeds], the original document was filed. Microfilming came hundreds of years later [than paper]. Even in Oklahoma, indexes going back before statehood were established by the legal description (the "address" has no specific legal meaning for this purpose and is only a handy convenience). You can always look up the plat, survey, government patent or other document finding what address corresponds to what "legal description." More recently, such relationships have been computerized, usually by the Registrar of Deeds, which saves a step. I have looked up many such deeds, mortgages, plat restrictions and other documents in person at the Registrar of Deeds' offices. In the last few years, it has become a lot easier with such records on line in many counties and the indexes, too, have been computerized in the registrars' office to make it easier.
2) Remote accessibility: Before computers, public records were > typically stored in only one physical location, and one had to go > there, during office hours, to access the records. With computers > and the Internet, the records may be accessed remotely from > anywhere around the world.

These two factors combined make the privacy issue very different from the past. In the past only the most determined person would bother to visit the courthouse and search through records. Today anyone can do so, easily. I think for hundreds of years there have been companies providing these serviceas, including indexing in places where such indexes do not exist. They are called "abstract companies" or "title companies" and there services are generally available to all comers, local or distant. I have an abstract for property in which I own a small interest in Texas. The documents go back to a grant from the King of Spain (with a translator's certificate). Many people have need of such services. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.