Re: Pop song phone number goes up for auction [Telecom]

> Acknowledged. Still, I'm surprised that the station's management >> didn't insist on including the entire DMA's audience. In the >> broadcast business, advertising rates are based on TV homes in the >> entire DMA, not just homes in the county of license. > The station management "DOESN'T CARE" _what_ the content of the ad > is. Well, as long as it won't get them _legal_ trouble for airing it, > that is. If you want to buy air time to advertise something that's > only available in a 6 block radius, that's just _fine_ with the > station. You _will_ pay the same rate as someone who's advertising > something with national availability -- but that's

I guess it depends on the individual station's management. In my experience, most stations do indeed care.

But I agree that some don't. Pat Townson once posted a story about a Chicago radio station that continued to give its call-in number with only seven digits even after 312 had been split into five area codes.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

_VERY_FEW_ stations

For historical accuracy, 312 has been split _twice_. Both times the split introduced _one_ additional area-code.

The original split, 1989 retained 312 for the City of Chicago proper, and put all the suburban areas into 708. In 1996, 708 was split (3 ways), adding 630 and 847. In 1997, 312 was split for the second time (2 ways), retaining 312 for the city center, and adding 773 for the outlying 'ring', still within the city limits. In 2002, 224 was added as an overlay for 847. In 2007, 331 was added as an overlay for 630. And, in November of this year, 872 will be added as an overlay over _both_ 312 and 773. Area-code 464 is being held in reserve to overlay 708, when needed.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

So if a Chicago TV station broadcasts a seven-digit phone number, how would the average viewer know which of those seven area codes to stick in front of it? Or are you saying that Chicago TV stations are among the "_VERY_FEW_" that care about such things?

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain

In the 1970s, I worked for a radio station in Santa Maria, CA, at the very north end of Santa Barbara county. You cross the Santa Maria river and you're in San Luis Obispo county. Santa Maria had GTE with a step switch. San Luis Obispo county had Pacific Telephone with a variety of switches, but all used 7 digit or area code plus 7 dgit dialing. The switch in Santa Maria, though, would absorb the first two of the seven digits, so most people just dialed five digits. Most radio ads gave the 5 digit phone number which half the listening area (but a much smaller portion of the population) could not dial. I always thought that was strange at the time.

Harold

Reply to
harold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.