Re: NYS AG Cuomo settles with VZ Wirelss on "unlimited" data

***** Moderator's Note *****

> I know this sounds unbelievable, but please remember that Verizon is a > union environment ...

I'm not sure if that's correct.

As I understand it, Verizon and other legacy telcos have divided themselves into old and new sides. The 'old' side is essentially the Bell Telephone or GTE component, unionized and regulated, providing basic landline services. The 'new' side is all the new technologies. The companies are trying to shift as much as possible to the new side.

If you call the traditional local business office for your local service, you'll deal with the traditional side and get traditional service. But other features, like DSL/FIOS and Wireless is handled by new entities.

I noticed my VZ bill lists several different VZ companies. On bill inserts, there is still an old Bell name printed in fine print.

The numbers of CWA members have dropped dramatically over the years, which is why CWA has sought to unionize very different fields.

The practices in question here all came out of the new sides.

***** Moderator's Note *****

You may be right, but I suspect the result is the same even if the reasons for it are not.

Lack of Internet access isn't a matter of life-and-death, so the "new" side of the business might be tempted to _minimize_ costs at _all_ costs, perhaps by ignoring traffic loads until the lines are actually at a standstill, and then by "curing" the trouble by cutting off the heaviest users, who are easily identified.

Or, I may be talking through my hat. Where are the Verizon DSL employees? Talk to us!

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.