Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery

My father told a story from back in the 1940s: for some reason people

> kept calling his phone (obTelecomHistory: WAlnut, a manual exchange in > uptown New Orleans) when they wanted to contact their local grocery to > have food delivered. (Yes, some groceries did that 'way back > when ... PeaPod is nothing new.) Apparently someone at the grocery was > giving out the wrong number and complaints to the grocery didn't help. > He finally fixed the problem by responding to the calls complaining > about slow deliveries: he profusely apologized, and told the caller > that as a good-will gesture the next order would include some fancy > lagniappe at no cost to the customer. Presumably the blasts directed > at the store about its failure to include the promised lagniappe > finally got management's attention.

When I moved to NC in 87, we were given a number that had belong to a lawyer. :)

About once a month we got a call and politely told them we didn't know what his number was and that was it. But there was that one call about a year after we got the number.

"I've been arrested, can you bail me out?" It was on the answering machine. So I couldn't even tell the poor guy how bad off he really was.

The other day, I got a call the caller id showed as a hispanic name that I didn't recognize. On a whim I answered. (I work at home and try and ignore most personal calls during the day to the home number.) I said hello, the other end said in what seemed to me to be a plaintive female voice, "Maria?". I tried in my non-existent Spanish to tell her wrong number but she kept repeating that name in a questioning voice. I gave up and hung up. She called every half hour a few more times. I called a friend who speaks Spanish and got the phrase for "wrong number" and tried that. No luck. So I ignored the calls. About

6 that day. The next day we got 2 more then they ended. I was going to ask my friend to call the caller id and try and explain if it didn't stop.

Is there any other way to deal with this?

Reply to
DLR
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.