Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would be careful saying that it is

>> a 'simple misdialing' if there are _many_ people calling it. > In this particular case, it does sound likely it's merely > misdialing -- people are trying to reach the company but reaching his > number instead. Yes I agree the translation table should've been > updated but nowadays it's understandable it wasn't. Indeed, with all > the mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcies I'm frightened to what > exists out there. > Also remember that right now the new Medicare Drug Plan is being > implemented and it's a mess. Lots of people are calling in with > questions, so call volume is unusually high. That would increase the > chances of error dialing. > Don't underestimate the grief someone has with a phone number close to > a popular number. A friend's number is vaguely similar to a pizza > place and he gets frequent calls for the place. (Since he's not > usually there it's not a problem). A number I once had was similar to > a call-in for work assignments and I got calls regularly at 5am. > I remember when our family moved and got a new number from a newly > created exchange. My mother was concerned that it was ANC and an > exchange no one heard of; she thought it would make us look odd. > (Interesting how we were concerned with our appearances back then.) > However, we never got anyone wrong numbers for many years. > I wonder if Touch Tone pads generate more errors than rotary dials > since people can zip along much faster, increasing the chance of > error. Further, with portable and cell phones, people could not be > paying attention while dialing and make more mistakes. > The old Bell Telephone movies showing somebody dialing carefully from > a written down number while seated with good posture at a good desk is > not real life. > I think in the old days the phone company knew certain numbers were > error prone and avoided assigning them out if possible. Also, > businesses tended to have symetrical or even hundred numbers. But > today that's not the case. Further, many businesses use spelled out > numbers which I think are much more error prone. That is, dialing > ABC-BANK is trickier than say 922-4800.

That's why I love my phone number. It's n2n-2n2n - the repeating two's make it fairly easy to remember.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.