Re: N11 Codes

211 Community Information and Referral Services

Not sure that's such a good idea.

311 Non-Emergency Police and Other Governmental Services

When my city went to 911, they kept their 7 digit police number (231-3131) and attempted to educate the public that 911 was for critical emergencies while the existing number was for all other police calls (ie barking dog, car theft). Apparently it didn't work out that way and the old number was abandoned with all calls going to 911.

Originally, the police emergency radio room was set up into geographic zones for the city. Then it was consolidated with operators taking calls city wide. There was a murder in process that generated a lot of calls but the operators didn't classify and prioritize it properly and the calls were spread over the whole room so there was no sense of urgency. A boy was killed as a result of no police response. The parents had an excellent lawsuit case but they said that wouldn't bring back their son. Rather, they asked that the city revamp its system (which would be rather costly) which was done.

There are still some problems with 911 receiving operators and the computer systems they use. My little town is on the centralized county system which means the operators aren't familiar with local geography although they're working on "E" 911 which is a database with the phone address automatically appearing. Cellular and VOIP phones remain a problem. Suburban streets are not very well marked and it's hard to know where one is at times.

411 Local Directory Assistance

Some places purposely switched away from 411 to 555-1212 to discourage

411 use. Now they charge and make a profit on it. How good is the quality of the RBOC operator with national listings? Is their database kept reasonably up to date? Internet databases are horrible -- my home number is mislisted (fine by me) and they show aother number for me that's been out of service since 2000.
611 Repair Service

My RBOC says they had to change this from a plain number on account of divesture so they wouldn't have an unfair adtvg over other carriers.

811 Access to One Call Services to Protect Pipeline and > Utilities from Excavation Damage (US); Available for > Reassignment (Canada)

This was historically used as an internal access for craftspeople to reach the C.O. test desk. In my area it is the ringback command, but not in others.

As to calling for pipeline checking, a single number won't help if the contractor is too lazy or stupid to make that call, and I've seen them do that many times with phone cables cut as a result.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.