Re: Man Dies Waiting for 911 to Arrive

On Thu, Feb 10 2005 18:00:00 PST Patrick Townson > wrote about: Man Dies Waiting for 911 to Arrive

-- Suit alleges dispatcher let man die in car -- > This story from our TD-Extra pages tells of a man with a cellular > phone registered in Dyer, Indiana (where he lived) who died in > his car (and was found in the car dead a few weeks later) in a > parking garage in Saulk Village, Illinois. Saulk Village (a far > south suburb of Chicago) sits on the Illinois/Indiana state line > right 'across the street' from Dyer, Indiana. It appears the 911 > dispatcher for Saulk Village (area code 708)did not know why she > was getting a call from an area code 219 number. The man called > from his automobile saying he thought he was having a heart attack; > the 911 dispatcher did not deal with it correctly. The man died > while waiting for an ambulance to show up (it never did show up) > and several weeks later they found his body in his car where it > had been parked. The family is suing the Village of Saulk Village > for damages. > See the full story at: >

formatting link
This certainly can happen, but, IMnotsoHO, it's the fault of the 911 operator. I often get 911 connections from the wrong operator -- the wrong county or even the wrong state. (And a 911 operator certainly can't assume the location of a cell phone from its area code!) In my opinion, once the operator figures out where I am -- or at least that I am not in his/her jurisdiction, I am relatively quickly transferred to the 911 operator in the correct jurisdiction, even if it's in a neighboring state. After all, when we're near a boundary we have no control over which tower will pick up our signal.

Reply to
Marcus Didius Falco
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.