Re: Fiber Cut Knocks S.E. Kansas Off Line

A sort of odd event: Using my geo-locating tools and my javascripts,

> when I go to those places which identify my whereabouts, I am always > correctly located in Independence, KS (although not on my exact spot > on the map but within a couple blocks); but when I was using my > TerraWorld modem backup line yesterday, the same pages and tools said > I was in 'Ballwin, Missouri' (which is not that far away, about a > hundred miles east and a bit south -- but still). I wish I knew how > those geo-locating tools worked. PAT]

Well, perhaps TerraWorld doesn't share its customer data with the geo-locating sites in realtime.

The matching of an IP address to a location works a lot like the matching of a telephone prefix (e.g., 620-402) to a city/town (e.g., Winfield, KS). If someone with an FX line entered their prefix at a site like Fonefinder, would you expect them to see their actual location or the one associated with their exchange?

Back to TerraWorld: I see no reason they would have an IP address permanently allocated to Patrick Townson's modem backup line. ARIN isn't in the habit of handing out IP blocks large enough for such behavior. Instead, when you dialed their modem, they handed you an address from the pool. And apparently, Ballwin is the listed address for that bank of modems.

To be honest, the "within a couple blocks" for your normal connection is unusually close. Is there some equipment housed at that location? Or might the locator be using some sort of geographic center for that position?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: My longitude is -95.699697 and my latitude is 37.218839 going by the ICBM program and my nine-digit zip code 67301-4349. Giving those coordinates to Google Maps puts the little dot across the street from my house, as well as on Frappr.com but Blogflux mapstats does claim it is 'Independence, KS' based on the above coordinates as well as my usual IP address, 24.119.70.45, however the little dot on the map is placed on the corner of Wald Street and Edison Street, two or three blocks east and south. I am on Poplar Street between Second Street and First Street so I walk a half block east to First Street a block further east to Wald Street, then south one block to Hill Street then south another block to Edison Street. Maybe the final digit in the latitude or longitude is rounded off one way or the other.

Regards 620-402 and 620-331, the latter is the telephone exchange for _everything_ in Independence except municipal government which is 332 and cell phones which are either 330, 331, or 332. An exception is the very odd exchange 620-714 which is listed as Independence but there is no one on it except for the TerraWorld dialups. But the guy who owns TerraWorld also owns Prairie Stream, our local CLEC. He said to me that '714 was assigned to him when he started Prairie Stream' and that 'in theory' if he took on new customers who did _not already_ have phone service from SW Bell he would put his 'new' customers in

620-714. But, he 'uses SBC to do his credit checking for him'; in other words, you have to have working service from Bell before he will give you his phone service, therefore his customers already have phones with 331 or 325 (Neodesha) or 289 (Tyro/Caney KS rural) or 251 (Coffeyville) so if SBC has not cut you off, he assumes you are a good credit risk and takes you on with Prairie Stream if you wish to switch, and he just ports your existing 331 (325,289,251) number as he did with me when I started using Duane's company. In any event, TerraWorld's dialup in Independence is 714-0005. I think Coffeyville is -0008 and Neodesha is -0002. 620-714 is 'local' to all of us.

Regards 620-402, that prefix is in Winfield, KS, a tiny little place about 50 miles west of here. It is also the Vonage POP for this part of S.E. Kansas. I have Vonage service here in my home (620-402-0134) as well as my Prairie Stream [nee, SBC] service on 620-331. But I do not have five cents worth of SBC service, a company which is starting to fall out of favor with many folks in Independence since Duane, with his good reputation for ISP service started Prairie Stream Communications as well, and now he is licensed to do business anywhere in Kansas which is otherwise SBC or Sprint/United territory. The Kansas Commission _loves_ him; they _hate_ SBC/Sprint/United. PAT]

Reply to
panoptes
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.