Re: Executive Has an Answer to Phone System Cheat Sheet

To show that automation can be good and turn English's assault into a

> business opportunity, Zirngibl put out his own cheat sheet for > businesses on how to create customer-friendly systems. Among the tips: > never hide the option for speaking to a live agent and never require > callers to repeat personal information once they reach a human being.

Personally, I repeat information exactly one time. If that representative cannot tell me how to get to a human and bypass the system next time, they will either transfer me to a manager that will give me that information or they will close my account.

That being said, I rather prefer automated systems for a lot of queries, if I have a choice of any automated system or a person I'll almost always take the automated system. However, when I do need to go beyond the scripted voice system, I want more then a meat-driven voice response system (in other words, they need to think, not follow a script) and they need to have the information I already gave the system.

You'll notice differences in companies though.

If you call my power company, the first words out of the IVR system tell you that no human is available, when a human will next be available, then it offers to help you automatically (and their automated system is great, you can actually move service with it in some cases, and I have

*never* repeated anything to a human that the system already asked me)

This is great, if I know that the system can't help me (or if I happened to be too ignorant to use an automated system), I can hang up right now. Alternatively, if I want something the system can do, I can still do it. Oh yeah, it will also put me through to a voicemail or let me request a callback. If you swear at it, you get a rep right away too :)

If you call my telco, even if the very first button you push tells the system with 100% certainty that you will need to speak to a person, it still needs your phone number, and account type (didn't I just give you my phone number? Ever hear of a database?) and a few other details before it can tell you that the department you need is closed, then it hangs up. No voicemail. Oh, and if you swear at it, it doesn't understand.

This benefits the company because they can get stats about who is calling and why, so they can look at what areas would be served by longer operating hours, at the expense of wasting a bunch of my time only to not even try to help me.

It's about corporate attitude. It's possible to make very smart, very adaptive phone systems which can address many/most calls, but it needs to be done with the customer in mind, not as a cost savings measure for the company (the cost savings come due to lower employee costs, but that should not be a primary goal)

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.