Re: EFF Sues AT&T Over Phone Surveillance

Matthew Fordahl wrote:

>> A civil liberties group sued AT&T Inc. on Tuesday for its alleged role >> in helping the National Security Agency spy on the phone calls and >> other communications of U.S. citizens without warrants. > I am very sensitive to privacy issues. However, this particular case > isn't so easy. Clearly, part of it is motivated by politics, that is, > people are upset because they don't like Bush in general, not because > of the specific issue involved and I don't like that. > As the "moral principle", this country was attacked in an act of war > and clearly the govt has the duty and responsibility to take defensive > measures against a further attack. Spying on the enemy and possibly > traitors within this country is a classic activity in time of war. > IMHO, part of the issue here is what was done with the information > gained. If they turned it over to prosecutors for other routine > crimes (ie tax evasion, drug running, import laws), I would object > since normal domestic search warrants were not obtained. But AFAIK > that was not done. >> It also seeks billions of dollars in damages. > "Damages" means the plaintiff suffered a monetary loss in some way as > a result of the defendant's action. Unless the govt utilized the > gleaned information against someone, I'm not sure there was any loss > suffered. I am also very hesitant about the class action status, I > believe that is overused. >> "Our main goal is to stop this invasion of privacy, prevent it from >> occurring again and make sure AT&T and all the other carriers >> understand there are going to be legal and economic consequences when >> they fail to follow the law," said Kevin Bankston, an EFF staff >> attorney. > Did the EFF sue all other carriers as well? Activist groups like to > pick on the big guys, but that is not fair. If EFF has a true case > against the carriers, it has a responsibility to sue every carrier. >> The White House has vigorously defended the program, saying the >> president acted legally under the constitution and a post-Sept. 11 >> congressional resolution that granted him broad power to fight >> terrorism. > I am not in a position to say if the White House was right or wrong in > this action. > However, it would appear that it is unfair to order the carriers to > make that decision either. I can't help but wonder that the carriers > received what appeared to be legitimate official wiretap requests and > they complied accordingly. I'm pretty sure if some unknown Fed agent > showed up with a wiretap demand without documentation he wouldn't get > very far. However, I suspect this came through normal channels that > the carriers were used to working with, and thus they had no reason to > suspect there may have been a question on them. >> "We are quite confident that discovery would reveal evidence proving >> our allegations correct," said Kevin Bankston, an EFF staff attorney. > That's very nice, but "discovery" is an expensive time consuming > process. Who's gonna pay for AT&T's cost? We are! >> "I think we are going to definitely have a fight on state-secret >> issues," Bankston said. "I would also point out that the state-secret >> privilege has never come up in a case where the rights of so many have >> been at issue." > Censorship of civilian activities was a major activity in WW II. Even > back then it was not particularly appreciated, but it was done. > As mentioned, I strongly believe in privacy and normally support EFF > efforts. But I'm not so sure on this particular case and I wonder if > it's grandstanding. I can think of a great many other privacy issues > EFF ought to be concerned about, although they're not very glamorous > or headline making. > [public replies, please]

Tapping (e.g. carnivore, eshalon) will get the low lying fruit. Real criminals will use strong encryption...

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.