Re: Dumb Question About "Do Not Call"

Three times a day, every day, the phone rings and a female robot voice

> says "Hello, this is not a sales call. This is about an important > business matter. Again, this is /not/ a sales call, this is an > Important Business Matter!" > Then the damn thing hangs up. > There is no CLID info with the calls -- they come through as "Unknown" > or "Unavailable" -- despite the fact that this line is /supposed/ to > reject anonymous calls. > Been going on for three weeks or so. > Three calls, every day. > If I'm here when it rings and I see "Unknown" or "Anonymous", I just > pick the receiver up and set it back down. They'll call back. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There is no such thing as a dumb > question around here, Randall. Just ask many of our users. With > my tin-foil hat and diseased brain, I am likely to say almost > anything as I bring discredit and shame to the entire net. > The 'reject anonymous calls' condition only applies if the caller > _deliberatly_ inserted *67 to withhold his number. That condition will > not work if the failure to deliver ID is due to a telco shortcoming, > such as the type of switch used by the sending telco, etc. The 'reject > anonymous' condition relies on the sending telco specifically saying > 'do not say who is calling'. In your case the sending telco is not > saying that, it just does not know who the caller is or else the > details somehow got lost in the switching matrix on the way. But it > did not _deny_ or _hide_ anything at the caller's request. > You still have a way around it however. Subscribe through your telco > to *60 (I think that is called 'reject these callers' in many places). > *60 answers you and says 'enter the number to be rejected' or words to > that effect and from that point on _that_ caller gets a message saying > you are not taking calls at this time. > Now I heard your next question already: if you do not know _who_ is > calling, how are you supposed to block them? Good question. The *60 > recording also tells you 'to reject the last call you received, > whether or not you know the number, press (some) key.' I think around > here it is '01' or something. You press whatever you were told, and > the Operator-Bot responds, "Thank you! That number is a _private_ > entry." But none the less it has been blocked. Your telco has a 'local > cache' of the last call you placed/received and it uses that entry to > do the blocking. If your telco offers 'return last call' service (*68 > I think) then you can also use that service to return the last call > and find out what the 'important business matter' is all about. Both > 'return last call' and 'reject this caller' service are sold by most > telcos these days. PAT]

Or you have one of those Radio Shack CID boxes that allow you to program numbers into it to block.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But Steven, recall that the man's caller ID box reported 'unavailable'. Radio Shack's Caller ID number blocker would not be able to help with that ... _what_ number to block? I think the man is going to have to rely on telco's magical cache of 'block last number even if you don't know who called you' arrangment. PAT]
Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.