Re: Do you know a telegraphy expert? [Telecom]

In 1945-46 I wrote the play-by-play for University of > Oklahoma football games at Norman with a Morse operator > by my side. I type each play on the typewriter and he > sent it in real time looking over my shoulder as I typed > it. Again a very skilled professional.

Sometime in the late 1950s, I visited the studios of WOW-TV (now WOWT) in Omaha. I noticed several telegraph keys scattered around the control rooms. I wondered about them, but I didn't say anything.

Then I figured it out. The engineers (all hams) were communicating among themselves by Morse Code over a hardwired telegraphic party line. Keys and speakers were located near every control board, and among the equipment racks. Any engineer could talk to the rest of the group by Morse code. Of course, non-engineers could hear the communications, but (presumably) couldn't understand them.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.