Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

In Monty Solomon writes: [ snip ]

About 10 new movies are sent each week over an unused part of the > broadcast TV signal using a technology called datacasting.

( in other words, the drive is, err, "trickle charged.. .")

I'm troubled by this. The tv station was granted a license by the FCC [a] for the specific purpose of sending out a broadcast signal, that is, a tv program.

Ok, the world has changed, and they can take, say, 5 percent of that bandwidth and use it for other purposes -- in this case to slow-feed a separate, "store and play..." series of movies, but...

I'd think a solid case could and should be made that this additional bit of effective bandwidth should be either re-bid out (after all, the original licensee doesn't "need it" for their licensed purpose).

[a] once upon a time the FCC licenses had to be renewed and it was possible to lose them. For all intents and purposes nowadays those FCC licenses are permanent.

Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.