Re: Device That Interfaces Between Phone/CallerID and Serial Port?

I'm looking for a device that connects between my telephone line

> and the serial (RS232) port on my computer, capturing caller-ID on > incoming phone calls and using that information to determine whether > to ring my phone immediately or put up various touch-tone menus > the caller must traverse. > What is the correct jargon for such a device? (So that I might do a > Google search and find the info I seek.)

Assuming you are looking for a device that receives Caller-ID, and the voice menu stuff is done by something else, I think it's called "a cheap modem". It needs Caller-ID but it doesn't need 56K or even

33.6k speeds. You don't want to set it up to auto-answer. The modem's RING response code will include caller-ID if it's set up to return it.

The various Digium PCI cards used by Asterisk to interface with analog phone lines let you do a lot more, including the voice menu stuff itself, but they don't do RS-232.

Gordon L. Burditt

Reply to
Gordon Burditt
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.