Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Hello,

> I recently switched to VOIP but kept my old POTS line for back-up. > I use the VOIP for all my LD calls. Am I correct that even though I'm > not using my 3rd party LD provider that I had with my POTS service > that I'm still paying some form of a month connection fee to the POTS > provider?

Many (most?) LD providers do not have a recurring periodic minimum fee for their most basic service, although they often do for more advanced types of service. You can contact your local ILEC and remove any LD preferred carrier arrangement, if you wish. This should prevent any recurring fee, if there was one in the first place, but the disadvantage is that if a LD call should, even by accident, be placed from your phone, you may find yourself assigned to a random carrier for that call, and this carrier will bill you at an unbelievably high per minute rate.

Reply to
BobT
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.