Re: Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs"

The government is proposing that devices (consumer electronics,

> computers, software) manufactured after a certain date respond to a > copy-protection signal or watermark in a digital video stream, and > pass along that signal when converting the video to analog. The same > goes for analog video streams, to pass on the protection to the > digital video outputs.

Very disturbing.

I don't think this is being proposed by the "government", but rather private industry.

I find this most objectionable as it prevents me from personally using recordings I have properly purchased and will force me to either buy duplicate copies I don't need or replacement playback equipment I neither want nor need.

For example, I make my own audio tapes using selections from various sources I have -- phonograph, other tapes, CDs. I play these tapes in the car, while I walk, or at work. This proposal would preclude me from doing so and I resent that.

Just out of curiosity, do radio stations have to pay a royalty to record companies when they play music? What are the rules, if any, for someone recording a song off the radio or a tape off of TV?

[public replies, please]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.