Re: Company Will Monitor Phone Calls to Tailor Ads

|The trade-off is that Pudding Media is eavesdropping on phone calls |in order to display ads on the screen that are related to the |conversation. Voice recognition software monitors the calls, selects |ads based on what it hears and pushes the ads to the subscriber's |computer screen while he or she is still talking.

I wonder how this works in all-party-consent states? Do they play a warning to the party you call?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

***** Moderator's Note *****

IANALB I'm not sure consent is needed: the call is being monitored, not recorded, and I'd only expect to need permission if an actual recording were being made.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Remember to put "[telecom]" (no quotes) first in your subject line to jump to the top of the queue.)

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Doesn't matter. VoIP is full-duplex up to the hand off to the POTS network, and quite possibly all the way to the terminating C.O.

This means it is entirely reasonable, AND PRACTICAL, to monitor _only_one_side_ of the call, and not hear anything that the called party says.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.