Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby

> The New York Times

>> "I'm one of those New Yorkers who doesn't have a driver's license, so >> I carry my passport with me in case I do need to show a picture ID." > Many states offer official photo-IDs for people who do not have a > driver's license. New York State does. I would think it'd be more > prudent to carry such an ID card rather than a passport in case it's > lost or stolen. (see:
formatting link
>> But because she was not checking into the hotel and not going anywhere >> but the lobby, she did not count on having to produce a >> government-issued photo ID just to have a clerk phone a guest room >> from the front desk. > That seems a bit extreme just for a visitor. However, hotels have > more liability about security, especially a place in a busy city. >> "At that point, I was kind of irritated at myself. I mean, a hotel >> lobby is, like, a public place, right? They claim the right to >> demand ID just to come in?" > No, a hotel lobby is NOT a public place. It is private property and > the owner may require such security checks as the owner deems > appropriate. Indeed, the hotel owner may HAVE to require such ID to > meet liability insurance or legal requirements to protect the security > of its guests. If the hotel had an incident of serious theft or > personal attack, I can see them being very cautious. Further, the ID > check may be a way of preventing undesirables from coming in and > loitering, looking for targets for theft, etc.

"NOT a public place" would imply that the no-smoking ban in NY is a crock.

Keep in mind that a great many private property spaces have closed > circuit TV recording all movements. Big brother is indeed watching > you.

Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A 'public place' is wherever police decide it is. If someone has a thing against another person smoking somewhere, I am sure they will be able to find a judge to agree with them if they look for awhile. PAT]
Reply to
Herb Stein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.