Re: Chad (was: NYS AG Cuomo settles with VZ Wirelss on "unlimited" da)

>> >>> >>>> >>>>Now here's a bonus question: Who invented the chadless process? Was it >>>>the >>>>Bell System (via Western Electric and Teletype) or was it Klienschmidt >>>>or >>>>some other company? (I don't know the answer but I'd like to know!) >>>> >>> I don't have a definitive answer, but it must have been Teletype/Bell >>> System, because Kleinschmidt made typing reperforators that used 7/8" >>> tape and typed on the edge where there was no punching. The reason >>> for chadless tape was to provide a surface to print on, with a typing >>> reperforator. >>> >>> >>> ***** Moderator's Note ***** >>> >>> That brings back a memory: the Model 19 I learned on had a typing >>> reperforator, the Model 14 IIRC, which used "chadless" tape and >>> printed on the chads. It also had a type wheel very much like the one >>> later used on the Model 32/33. It was very useful for making "Brag" >>> tapes, which were sometimes played during radio contacts: if you >>> realized you'd make a mistake in the tape, you could run it through >>> the reader on the Model 19, up to the point of the mistake, and type a >>> corretion, and then run the rest: the reperforator would produce a >>> correct copy. >>> >>> The hams at M.I.T. had to wind replacement ribbons themselves, because >>> the reels used by TeleType cost too much. >>> >>> Trivia question: when first establishing contact, the stations would >>> often send a series of "RY" characters repeatedly. Why? >> >> We're going back into the mental archives here. As I recall, that >> string was as close as you can get to equal numbers of marks and >> spaces. So whatever the loop current was (maybe 20ma), RYRYRY, etc >> would cause to current meter to register half of the always-on loop >> current. I've forgotten the name of that big relay (bi-polar?) that we >> all got from the old Bell System. If it was out of whack, you would >> get something more or less than the10ma in my example. Of course, you >> could do the same thing locally with your model 15 tape distributor. >> >> If this is right, do I win a prize? :-) >> >> Herb Stein >> snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com >> >> >> ***** Moderator's Note ***** >> >> Herb, you're very close. Yes, the sequence "RY" _is_ an alternating >> stream of Mark/Space signals, i.e., a "101010101010101010101010 ..." >> pattern. >> >> However, it wasn't used to measure current. > > I've thought about this all day. And it is the pattern above, but > you're ignoring the start and stop bits. But it is as close to your > pattern as is possible. I'm going back to 1961 or so my memory > fades. I can't remember if I have socks on! I don't remember what it > measured, but I had a small meter which would be at about half the > normal reading when the famous RYRY... was sent from the model 14 TD > on the local loop. I guess I "misremember" what the meter was reading. > > I still have the home-brew thing with the polar relay ans associated > socket, H-88 Bell load coils, etc. I gave away the hardware years ago. > > In any event, great flashback! > >> Bill Horne >> Temporary Moderator >> >> P.S. The prize is too incredible to mention! > > -- > Herb Stein > snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com > > > ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > Herb, you're the closest, so you win. You're right: I didn't count the > start and stop bits. > > If you had a current meter in the loop and watched it during an RY > sequence, I understand how it would show about half scale. I don't > think that would be a good tuning indicator, though. > > In radio, the RY sequence was used to produce a "cross" pattern on a > monitoring scope, or to guide a discrimator output meter to the > center.

I never had that kind of fancy hardware, but I can see that working.

Trivia question #2: what is the equivalent character pattern when > using a Model 35? > > Trivia question #3: what key combination would produce a > blank tape, with only feed holes punched, on a Model 33ASR?

I never had anything new enough to use the 8-level ASCII tape. Just the WWII surplus 5-level Baudot stuff. The old stuff was free from the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS).

Being 15 in 1961, I had no contacts in the phone company to get the new stuff from.

Bill Horne > Temporary Moderator

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

Truth be told, I never had that kind of fancy hardware, either: my first TU was a two-tube unit that I tuned by watching the copy! I had a model 15 TeleType, which I'd bought for about $40, from a service which redistributed them to hams on a "Not For Resale" basis. It had a pin-feed platten, and so I was always scronging pin-feed paper. I would still have it today, except that my father put it in the trash while I was in Vietnam.

My first experience with ASCII was with the PDP-8 "Edusystem" computer used in local schools, which had a 33 ASR as a terminal. I got a job maintaining the TeleTypes, and they sent me to North Wacker Drive in Chicago to learn how.

That was during the time I was laid off from NET&T, so I didn't have any contact in the phone company, either, but if it's any comfort, they were still using Model 28's well into the Seventies: the first contact many of their own repairmen had with ASCII was in fixing the Model 35's that came with the 1A ESS, and they'd still use "RY" as a test pattern, even though "U*" was the equivalent ASCII sequence.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Herb Stein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.