Re: Butt-Set Recommendation

My question is this, what kind of a test set should I get in order to

> reasonably perform all the testing I need. I'm sure a basic, entry > level set like the TS19 from Harris would do what I need, but where I > get confused is all of the data protection and data lockout features > that the more advanced sets offer (everything from the TS20's to the > TS44DLX). Are these features something I could really use, or > perhapse are they not enough? Or are they for a telco technician who > will be using it all the time, and coul= d potentially tie into some > serious voltage on a lie that would make T1s look like child's play?

I use a 1950s vintage butt set with a rotary dial for most things. The telco techs usually make fun of it, but I have yet to find anything critical that I have needed to do where it wouldn't function. It's just fine for listening to T-1 circuits and trying to hear resynch issues.

The data lockout stuff will help you not screw up a data circuit if you accidentally come across one with the TALK switch on. Is that important to you?

Don't forget that you will also need a Fox and Hound set. If you work on T-1 circuits, you really need a T-1 BERT at least, and a full protocol analyzer is a nice thing to have.

No reason not to just get a cheap butt set, though.

What have you run into in your jobs that have turned out > indispensable, or something you wish you'd gotten originally?

The Stanley push drill.

scott

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.