Re: Battery power support today [Obfuscate]

The Telecom Digest

> Volume 30 : Issue 153 : "text" Format > > Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:05:22 -0700 > From: AES > To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom-digest.org. > Subject: Re: Battery power support today > Message-ID: > > Since the thoughtful discussion by Tom Horne at > , > contains the following sentence > > > I also have a generator that I maintain and test quite > > regularly, but not many homes are so well equipped. > > 1) I'll toss in the following idea which my wife actually suggested > some years ago, and which I think is remarkably ingenious. > > Suppose your gasoline-powered lawn mower included access to its drive > shaft in some way _from the top_, and the mower manufacturer also sold a > small free-standing (unpowered) generator with a matching fitting _on > the bottom_. > > When the power fails, pull off a small cap on the top of the mower > housing, opening up access to the motor shaft a small distance down > inside a 1" or so diameter hole. > > Drop the generator onto the top of the mower, firmly held in place with > some matching brackets or fittings on top of the mover enclosure, and > with its shaft making a mating connection to the mower shaft. Pull the > starting cord, and you've got electricity -- and in many parts of the > country your new primary power source will have been not just tested but > usefully employed once a week, most of the weeks in the past year. > > [I've in fact been making use of a smaller but analogous single power > source, multiple accessory tool combination earlier this morning, in the > form of one of a remarkably useful hand-held Braun electric gadget which > a shaft which matches up to and powers a whole variety of kitchen > blenders and stirrers. And Honda in fact actually both gas-powered > mowers and gas-powered home generators, does it not?] >

It is a nice idea, but not all that practical - you almost have to get (or build) a dedicated generator set to do this with. For openers, the engine has to hold 1800 or 3600 RPM, so the generator holds 60 Hz fairly closely - many electronic devices do NOT do well when the power input takes major voltage or frequency excursions. And that takes a purpose designed governo r system on the engine to apply throttle as necessary to hold the prime mover running speed in a very narrow range.

There is an an air-vane governor in the average lawnmower engine, but it is a very rough control meant to deal with hitting a patch of extra heavy or wet grass without stalling the engine - and then not overspeeding the engin e past the safe redline when your grass is all cut. It will allow several hundred RPM of speed variation before reacting, when you want to stay withi n

5 to 10 RPM of ideal.

They DO Make Tractor PTO operated generator sets that take the 540 RPM PTO Shaft output, wind it up to 1800 RPM with a step-up gearbox, and use a

4-pole alternator. But the average farm tractor also has a fairly sensitiv e engine governor built in, and will hold the speed for 60 Hz power generatio n tight enough for most uses. And you just took the tractor out of service a s a tractor for use on generator duty when you might need it most as a tracto r

- like digging yourself out of the Blizzard Of The Century.

You can build up a generator set yourself out of a salvaged car engine, but you'll spend a few hundred bucks on the controls and the special governor. Much easier to buy what you need, and just run it every month to keep it i n good shape.

2) As another take on the same residential emergency power backup
theme: I have 10 kW of solar on my roof (large 4-household residence, > all on one meter, hence most of our usage would otherwise be at premium > rates that are much are than the baseline rate in our area). But, this > system goes out and becomes useless for generating 110 VAC if the local > utility power fails (and I understand why). > > But suppose the inverters for this system included some very modest > additional electronics that could also divert a small fraction of the > juice from these panels to directly charge, _DC to DC_, a small array of > a half dozen or dozen of the standard 18 V or 24 V batteries that power > ordinary hardware-store variety power tools (drills, small saws, etc), > all sitting in a rack right beside the inverters. > > Our local power company is knocked out for a week, but there's still > some sunshine? ­­ we could at least glean some renewable energy every > day to power small tools, maybe communications gear, lights for after > dark, maybe even some cooking. > > And all the rest of the time, we could still keep these batteries > charged without the DC-to-AC-back to DC efficiency that's otherwise > involved in doing this. > > I think I'll go talk to my patent attorney . . . >

They already make Solar inverter systems that can be fairly easily switched over from "Online Utility Tied" to "Offline battery bank with Auto-Start Generator Backup" modes manually with a few switches and a few minutes work , and you can be totally free of the grid. But it has to be manually initiated for safety reasons - the Utility won't let you tie it in directly and automatically without that precaution. You need safety switches betwee n the Utility and your solar system, and manual Lockout/Tagout procedures so there's no way you can backfeed power toward the Utility and shock a few unsuspecting linemen...

One of them that I have researched is the Sunny Island series from Sunny Boy, I'm certain there are others. And they do cost quite a bit more than a purely Online system from what I'm told, plus buying the bank of Lead-Acid storage batteries it will need to run with is a non-trivial cost - you need several hundred to a few thousand amp-hours of tank-cell batteries at 48V nominal. (Gee, a 26-cell string, just like a telephone Central Office...)

Not to mention building a sturdy battery rack (seismically reinforced where necessary) and isolating it from children and pets in a dedicated and secured room for safety - that's a lot of Sulfuric Acid. You would need to partition off one side of the garage for the battery room, or fill half the basement if you have one.

If you live somewhere that the utility power grid isn't all that reliable, it would make sense to spend the money and upgrade.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce Bergman
Loading thread data ...

Will all concerned with power generators go to the Bedini website & give opinion?

Richard Powderhill

Reply to
Ricardus

Do you have a link to the correct website?

Reply to
Sam Spade

Try this:

formatting link

Reply to
Ricardus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.