Re: ADSL and SDSL?

As "commonly deployed", SDSL has same speed up and down, and ADSL has

> mis-matched (almost invariably higher in the 'down' direction) speeds. > However, I have had "symmetric rate" ADSL, and "Asymmetric rate" SDSL, > service, at various times, from various providers. Not terribly > common, but such services do/did exist. :)

ADSL has, and I guess SDSL has it too, a difference between 'the possible speed of the phone line' and 'the speed the *dsl provider programs on it'.

For example, my phone line has the following:

Downstream

Attainable line rate : 8112 kbit/sec Attainable Atm rate : 7680 kbit/sec Used line rate : 3600 kbit/sec Fast used Atm rate : 3200 kbit/sec

Upstream

Attainable line rate : 968 kbit/sec Attainable Atm rate : 864 kbit/sec Used line rate : 856 kbit/sec Fast used Atm rate : 768 kbit/sec

(see

formatting link
for how I make my adsl modem tell me this and other details about the phoneline)

The provider could for example program a profile with 768 kbit up/down.

Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers snipped-for-privacy@kzdoos.xsall.nl or DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 -?) Fax +31-30-2817051 Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access /\\\\

formatting link
at campsites
formatting link
_\\_V

Reply to
Koos van den Hout
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.